Switch To Reusable Face Mask — Save Earth & Yourself
With the mounting new cases & deaths of CoronaVirus every day, India is also hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemics. This invisible enemy cannot be controlled by the government, the general public has to give their 100% participation to fight against Coronavirus.
Looking at this horrible situation, the Indian Government has made the wearing of masks compulsory for every person as a preventive measure but it does not mean everyone needs N-95 or medical grade surgical masks. Though they have higher protection against the virus as compared to cloth masks, the general public does not need that high protection, social distancing, and cloth mask would suffice.
There is already a shortage of medical-grade masks as a huge number of the general public has bought them, factories are closed so supply is also limited. Unfortunately, the doctors and front-liners who are there to save us have to compromise with their safety and have to use reusable cloth masks. It has been recommended by the government also that the general public should use reusable cloth masks, maintain social distancing, and leave the surgical masks or N95 respirators for the health care workers.
Switch to Reusable Cloth FaceMask
- The wearing of reusable masks by the public could avoid 66,000 tonnes of contaminated plastic waste being generated in a year
- Disposable masks cannot be recycled because they are composed of different plastic materials
- People throw face masks anywhere and in fact along with plastic bottles now the face masks are also found on the coastal areas
- They break down into microplastics and it will be transferred through marine life through the food chain to human beings
What fabric is suitable for a facemask?
- Cotton fabric is the perfect material for a facemask.
- With an ideal thread count of about 200 with up to three layers of fabric it makes cotton as the best for cloth masks
- This material is effective in filtering out the virus as well as blocking any pathogens from entering
- The cotton fabric provides the right amount of breathability and comfort
- It is also recommended to use white color masks that can be washed in higher temperatures as the dark colors tend to fade with washes
How to wear Cloth Face Mask ?
Cloth face mask should
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Should be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
Benefits of Choosing the Reusable Cloth Face Mask
- Cloth masks are breathable & comfortable with full protection
- It minimizes cross contamination with plastic filter shield
- It fits snugly & perfect on the face
- Cloth masks are environmentally friendly as it is reusable
- You can personalize cloth masks by attaching identification to it directly
- You can save money with reusable mask
- Reusable Face Mask Lasts Longer
How to put on and take off your Mask properly
- Wash your hands thoroughly before wearing the mask
- Once on, the mask should fit snugly around the nose and mouth
- Avoid touching the mask while using it
- If you do, wash or sanitize your hands immediately
- While removing the mask, do not touch the front or any surface of the mask, hold it from the strings
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes, and wash your hands immediately after removing it
- Drop it into a solution of soap and water and clean it thoroughly
How to wash, dry & store Reusable Cloth Face Masks between uses?
- A cloth face mask should be washed after each use as apart from the virus, the mask collects sweat & oil as well, which may affect your health
- It is good to have more than one face mask in case, you wear a mask every day, this way you’ll always have a clean one available
- After each use, soak your mask in hot water and detergent and clean it thoroughly with hands
- For delicate handmade masks, hand washing is the best way to go. Soak the mask in hot water and detergent, then scrub it for at least 20 seconds and rinse with hot water
- The other way is to put the mask in a small laundry bag and wash it in a washing machine along with your other laundry using regular detergent in hot water
- Viruses cannot withstand high temperatures; therefore, washing face masks at a temperature of more than 60 degrees helps disinfect the mask
- After washing the mask, just hang your mask up or lay it flat in direct sunlight to dry. Sunlight is an excellent natural sanitizing agent.
- You can dry it in your washing machine dryer also with a high heat setting.
- Store your clean cloth face masks in a clean or new paper bag or covered container until you use them again
- Make sure the mask is completely dry before putting them away, to prevent mold growth
10 Local Indian Brands selling Reusable, sustainable & affordable masks
- We Are Labeless
- Daily Objects
- True Browns
- Fable Street
- Eco Right
- Koi Taro
- Tista Bene
- The Six Bravo
If World’s most powerful leader can wear a mask, so can you. Period.
Avoid risking yours & other’s lives.